Finally decided to post something as today was about as frustrating of a day as I've had on Bunny. Background - Been on the site 3 months and after a rocky start and trying to figure out the Quality control challenges of the site, I found my grove and have had the vast majority of my work approved with no QC issues. But today was a day reminiscent of those early days. First and foremost, I record in the same place with the same equipment set up and settings EVERY day. Nothing changes. I'm also careful how far I speak from the mic. I am ALWAYS consistent. My day-
- Job #1 - So today I start the day by successfully auditioning completing a job that was approved by the client
- Job #2 then gets revision requests by noting overcompressed and over-processed. Mind you same setting as Job #1. After a few takes it's accepted and approved by client.
- Job #3 - This one is a head scratcher in many ways. Same QC as Job #2 and while basically recorded at the same setting as my first take of Job #2, nothing is noted about over-compressed/processed. Instead I'm asked to revise as it doesn't sound young enough. So I give it a take with a younger tone and it is accepted....but ultimately rejected by the client! Fate would have it the job popped up again and I was allowed to apply. I did and got the audition. So I used the same version I first submitted (that one that didn't sound young enough). And it was accepted by the judge and get this..also the client! I can't even wrap my head around that.
- Rest of the day went ok with only one job requiring a revision due to distortion noted. Different Judge and an issue no other judge noted.
- Last job of the day was QC by yet another QC and he threw the kitchen sink at me from boxiness (saying not an acoustically good environment/small space), volume (asked for at -3dBFS) and mouth noise. Side note - this judge always has these issues and no others do....
Think that sums it up pretty good and exactly what I went though way back. How can the same judge request revisions for one job but accept the another simultaneously with the EXACT same settings? And how can I successfully do over 150 jobs and the same judge keeps rejecting me for saying I don't have an acoustically good environment yet it works for all the others? It's consistently inconsistent and how is that fair to the pro's who are scratching and clawing to do work? I'm always consistent and basically having to alter my gain and normalization to the tastes of individual judges; and when that happens it results in more revision requests because I don't know what to expect any given job. I'm curious if all the judges are using the same equipment and looking at the same things or are they given free will to do as they please?
I also want to throw in that I was professionally trained and while always learning and growing in this business, I have shared multiple rejections with the company that trained me. They have a Grammy winning sound guy and every rejection he has listened to has noted that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the recording; and is baffled it doesn't work for a site that typically pays less than $15 a job.
I will end my rant on a few good notes. The Bunny Support folks are phenomenal and have really helped me keep my sanity. Daniel is a saint in my books and always there to give input and assistance where he can. And all the frustration noted, when Bunny does work and it's clicking, it's a blast and one of my favorite sites to do work! Maybe I'll get to a point where I'm doing more high paying jobs, but for now, I love the excitement and experience.
Would love to hear from other pro's that are going through the same thing or can share any thoughts or comments. Realize we are all competing against each other, but in the end, we are a community and there seems to be plenty of work on this site to go around!
Please sign in to leave a comment.